So it’s that time of my life again. The time when a not-so-young1 man has to get a job because he can’t live off his savings forever. And that not-so-young man is me. If you know of something that might be a good fit for me please let me know. I wrote up a TLDR I’ve been sharing with recruiters that will help you figure out if something is a good fit for me.
At the end of my last post, “Frontend Rust Without Node”, I talked about my big issue with using Tailwind CSS. It has a huge number of classes, I can’t remember their names, so I often typed them incorrectly. This made it difficult to figure out why my styling wasn’t doing what I thought. TLDR: Don’t care about how any of this works, but just want to use the tooling I wrote?
When I started my frontend Rust project, I used a Seed project starter template that included Tailwind, webpack, some more JS frontend dev stuff, and some TypeScript glue code that launches the app. This was a lot of stuff. Stuff for me to install. Stuff for me to run. Stuff for me to (not) understand. So. Much. Stuff! To be clear, I don’t want to dump on the author of this template.
The last time I wrote about this was 8 days after I left my last position, at ActiveState. Since writing that post, I’ve continued to think about what I want, and my thinking has evolved. TLDR: Top tier TC1 or a 4 day week, and both would be ideal (but unlikely). 5+ weeks of PTO. Yes++ to Rust. No Java or PHP. No companies in certain fields like crypto.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I’ve been working on a music player for a while as a fun side project. Though since I’ve been jobless this has actually been my primary project, and I’ve probably spent more time coding than I did at work1. This almost looks like a real app but don't be fooled. Half the buttons don't work yet. My goal was always to build a backend that could support multiple frontends, especially a web app and mobile apps.
Edit 2022-01-19: I’ve since moved the script to a public repo. Also, I’ve reformatted my resume to make it a bit shorter, so here’s a more recent PDF version. I only want to have one canonical resume, and I want to keep it on my personal website. That makes it trivial to update, and anyone with the link can see the latest version at all times. But unfortunately very few job application systems will accept a link to a resume.
Since leaving my job last October I’ve been working on various personal projects for fun and learning. One of those is a music player1 written entirely in Rust, including a web-based frontend using Seed, which is an Elm-like frontend framework in Rust. I’d like to write some other posts about that as well, but today let’s talk about artist names, specifically how these are represented in the MusicBrainz data. I have a lot of Japanese music2, and one of the main reasons I don’t like any of the music players I’ve tried so far3 is their handling of non-Latin script names and titles.
I’m currently enjoying being unemployed, and I won’t be looking for a new position until some time in 2022, but I’ve been thinking about what I want from next position. There are many things I’d like, but what are my priorities? Update 2022: The more I’ve thought about this the more I’ve realized that I can achieve my goal of working less by aiming for higher compensaion now in order to be able work less in the future.
Today was my last day at ActiveState. I enjoyed my nearly five years there (starting in February of 2017), but for a variety of reasons I decided to leave. I’m in the very fortunate position of being able to be jobless for a while, I’m not planning to look for anything new until January of 2022 at the earliest. I have some programming projects of my own that I plan to work on, and I’ll post about them here if they turn into anything interesting.
It’s been a few weeks since my last post on this project. I was distracted by Go reflection and security issues with Perl IP address modules. But now I can get back to my Postgres SQL pretty printer project1. One of the challenges for this project has been figuring out the best way to test it. I tried a standard unit test approach before giving up and settling on integration testing instead, so in this post I’ll talk about what I tried and what I ended up with.